[Suggestion] A Few Ideas To Enhance This Site

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXIAH.com » Suggestions » [Suggestion] A few ideas to enhance this site
[Suggestion] A few ideas to enhance this site
First Page 2 3 ... 16 17 18 ... 26 27 28
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-16 14:12:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I'm not saying it is, nor do I want this to be...

>.>
4chan does stuff like that. lol
Didn't know >.>

Don't go to that forum at all
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-17 11:33:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Serious suggestion.

How about if somebody deleted their post, which was the last post in the thread, it doesn't get bumped to the top.

It would also be nice if it would actually display the last post of the thread when a post is deleted, instead of showing the top of the thread.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-09-17 11:34:06
Link | Quote | Reply

It would also be nice if it would actually display the last post of the thread when a post is deleted, instead of showing the top of the thread.
This would be pleasant.
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-09-17 11:37:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Those seem reasonable. There's a lot of tomfoolery around those calculations for caching and performance reasons, so I'm not promising anything, but I'll have a look.
[+]
By ibm2431 2015-09-18 16:40:07
Link | Quote | Reply

My favorite red-named person:

Line breaks for item set comments? It'd let me make things like this more readable.

Also taking this opportunity to point out (probably remind and/or bug) that the Stats for item sets don't add up correctly for ilvl gear.
[+]
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-09-19 20:48:45
Link | Quote | Reply

ibm2431 said: »
My favorite red-named person:

Line breaks for item set comments? It'd let me make things like this more readable.

Also taking this opportunity to point out (probably remind and/or bug) that the Stats for item sets don't add up correctly for ilvl gear.

Item sets actually need a lot of work. That code is due for a serious refactor anyway, but what I'm doing is writing the XIV version of them, and then I will port the XI version to that newer code base, as much as I can while maintaining backwards compatibility. Obviously, everything falls second to that, there's a LOT of item sets out there, and breaking the format is a complete no-no.

Both of your requests will be addressed though :)
 Bahamut.Soraishin
Server: Bahamut
user: Soraishin
By Bahamut.Soraishin 2015-09-19 22:40:10
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys should make Kanto Gym Badges and assign them to Mods and have each mod make up their own unique and attainable challenge to earn their badge. For example Rooks has a riddle he asks and gives you 30 seconds to answer or something.

Badges
Mods
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-09-19 23:37:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually have an attainable badge, and it's going in on Tuesday. Nothing so exciting as riddles, though. Sorry.
[+]
 Sylph.Feary
Server: Sylph
user: feary
By Sylph.Feary 2015-09-20 02:15:44
Link | Quote | Reply

could you add date created/ last modified to itemsets. so that the itemset page/search is a litte more functional.

i mean anything in the area of better itemsets would be welcomed.
[+]
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-09-20 06:25:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Feary said: »
could you add date created/ last modified to itemsets. so that the itemset page/search is a litte more functional.

i mean anything in the area of better itemsets would be welcomed.

That's actually already tracked, so it's just a matter of exposing the data. I'll see if I can have that for Tuesday.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-09-24 15:22:17
Link | Quote | Reply

The badges with the white box should just have an invisible background imo. Would be neater I think.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-28 09:48:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Any way for somebody to know if they were blocked by another user, so they don't respond to their posts knowing that it will get ignored anyway?
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-09-28 10:00:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Any way for somebody to know if they were blocked by another user, so they don't respond to their posts knowing that it will get ignored anyway?

I mean, it's certainly possible (and easy), but it sort of comes back to why the two-way blocking went away. I don't really want to focus development time (or features in general) on anti-social mechanisms. Giving people a green light to talk knowing the other won't see it seems to bring out bad behavior from exactly the people who seem to get blocked a lot.

So, no for now. Could always revisit it given the right reason, but I've got other priorities at the moment.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-28 10:02:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Rooks said: »
Giving people a green light to talk knowing the other won't see it seems to bring out bad behavior from exactly the people who seem to get blocked a lot.
Didn't think about that.

Just wanted to make sure if I knew people I was responding to blocked me, I wouldn't bother responding to them at all. It's hard to tell nowadays, unless they made it publicly known that they blocked a person. Even then it might get forgotten.

Thanks, and sorry about the stupid idea.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-10-01 09:47:44
Link | Quote | Reply

This is my weekly annoy Rooks with a stupid request...err..request.

Can you make a sparkling font? Something that we could use to say "That's still a better love story than Twilight" joke or something.

And/Or a "stupid idea" badge too

/runs away
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-10-01 09:55:40
Link | Quote | Reply

This is my weekly annoy Rooks with a stupid request...err..request.

Can you make a sparkling font? Something that we could use to say "That's still a better love story than Twilight" joke or something.

And/Or a "stupid idea" badge too

/runs away

No.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-10-01 09:57:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh, worth a try.

I thought there was a .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000331% chance that you would say "We will see about it"
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-10-01 10:00:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh, worth a try.

I thought there was a .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000331% chance that you would say "We will see about it"

I actually looked into it for a moment, just to see if I could make a pedantic joke about what I can do versus what I will do, but turns out that "can" might not even be on the menu unless I add a custom font or something.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-10-01 10:02:56
Link | Quote | Reply

unless I add a custom font or something.
Actually, isn't that the only way to make it?

I'm not a programmer, but I still would see that creating something like a sparkling font would be something completely new.

I honestly don't know how much work it would be, nor do I know how much work you actually did for the rainbow text (which, obviously, I truly appreciate). I had a very strong feeling you would say no, but I thought I would give you an idea for an April Fool's Joke or something you can prepare for the future.
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-10-01 10:12:32
Link | Quote | Reply

unless I add a custom font or something.
Actually, isn't that the only way to make it?

I'm not a programmer, but I still would see that creating something like a sparkling font would be something completely new.

I honestly don't know how much work it would be, nor do I know how much work you actually did for the rainbow text (which, obviously, I truly appreciate). I had a very strong feeling you would say no, but I thought I would give you an idea for an April Fool's Joke or something you can prepare for the future.

You can do an awful lot of stuff with CSS. I'm pretty sure it can be done with CSS, but it's beyond my particular skill with it. (I'm not really a graphical guy)

The rainbow text was 15 minutes and about ten lines of code, which is why it went in (it's actually kind of a hack, which is why it has to be the innermost tag set, etc). I always try to pad the patch with little stuff the day before it goes out, and that was a suitable candidate.

(And I already have April Fool's planned out)
 Asura.Pintseyes
user: yurmy123
By Asura.Pintseyes 2015-10-01 17:35:06
Link | Quote | Reply

An idea if it's not already available.

It has come to my attention (I guess I've been lucky) that people just want you to feel worse about something. It would be nice that if we add someone to our blocked list they also don't appear in our forum posts and/or allow us to block people from posting on a forum post.

Is this already available somehow? It would be nice to have a "troll filter".
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-10-01 17:55:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Pintseyes said: »
An idea if it's not already available.

It has come to my attention (I guess I've been lucky) that people just want you to feel worse about something. It would be nice that if we add someone to our blocked list they also don't appear in our forum posts and/or allow us to block people from posting on a forum post.

Is this already available somehow? It would be nice to have a "troll filter".

I'm not sure I understand the question.

There's already a "Block" button on posts that keeps people from showing up, and a more full-featured block list in the members menu on the right hand side.

There's nothing to block other people from posting in a thread, short of a topic ban, which is moderator only.
 Asura.Pintseyes
By Asura.Pintseyes 2015-10-02 02:03:11
Link | Quote | Reply

There's nothing to block other people from posting in a thread, short of a topic ban, which is moderator only.

I think that's the answer unfortunately.

Lets say we start a thread, along comes a troll, instead of arguing with them or simply having to put up w/ it in your thread, you can block them from the thread itself as to make it to where they can no longer post in the given thread.
 Asura.Vafruvant
user: Vafruvant
By Asura.Vafruvant 2015-10-02 02:49:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I think that's the answer unfortunately.

Lets say we start a thread, along comes a troll, instead of arguing with them or simply having to put up w/ it in your thread, you can block them from the thread itself as to make it to where they can no longer post in the given thread.
Yeah that's way too much power to give a normal user. What's to stop topic creators from locking out people that just disagree? It's the whole reason to have forum mods.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Vafruvant
user: Vafruvant
By Asura.Vafruvant 2015-10-02 03:32:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Can't VIPs do this?
They might be able to, but it's not everyday someone becomes a VIP either.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-10-02 06:20:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vafruvant said: »
Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Can't VIPs do this?
They might be able to, but it's not everyday someone becomes a VIP either.
We can bypass title length limitations, edit our thread titles after the 24 hour mark, lock & unlock, main & demain, delete and move our threads and delete posts within. We can't sticky and unsticky nor can we topic ban.
 Asura.Pintseyes
By Asura.Pintseyes 2015-10-02 16:25:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vafruvant said: »
Yeah that's way too much power to give a normal user. What's to stop topic creators from locking out people that just disagree? It's the whole reason to have forum mods.

Well what I was thinking so we're not actual mods is, say I blocked you, you try to stalk my posts and troll me, but since I've blocked you your posts don't show up in my threads. Kind of like FFXI, if you're blocked nothing gets through. Attach it to privacy settings instead of giving us a outright option to block users by thread. Vaf is totally correct, people would abuse it.

This way people wouldn't want to just block random people for the idea of being "in power". I understand that it's a form of moderation, but maybe this way people wouldn't get block happy? I don't know, it would just be nice to see conversations w/out arguments, without that one guy who is just pushing peoples buttons. This may also lighten the load on the mods having to use Anna's abilities on threads going out of control.

I'm not sure if this is possible or not, but if someone was blocked, couldn't XIAH add a filter to their posts that simply allow them to post anywhere they want, but if you're blocked "other" people won't see your comments if you post into a thread of someone who has blocked you? I think it's called "gaging". The said person would never know they're blocked.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-10-12 22:26:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Well what I was thinking so we're not actual mods is, say I blocked you, you try to stalk my posts and troll me, but since I've blocked you your posts don't show up in my threads. Kind of like FFXI, if you're blocked nothing gets through. Attach it to privacy settings instead of giving us a outright option to block users by thread. Vaf is totally correct, people would abuse it.

If someone is chasing you around harassing you, that's a rule violation. Report them and they'll be taken care of.
First Page 2 3 ... 16 17 18 ... 26 27 28