Are Christianity And Capitalism Really Compatible?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Are Christianity and Capitalism Really Compatible?
Are Christianity and Capitalism Really Compatible?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-04-22 19:05:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Eugene said:
I think it's a pretty strong statement to say that humans are truly incapable of secular society. I think it's an even bigger leap to say that governments cannot exist in a secular nature either.
I think humans are incapable of secular society.
because humans is a pretty broad term and applies to a lot of people.
it's not something that you are i can even comprehend in this day and age.
if something like that is to ever come it's not going to be something we would think is plausible in the first place.

Bahamut.Refreshtwo said:
Cerberus.Eugene said:
I was more wuting along the lines of the fact refresh said that truly secular society isn't possible because governments cannot be truly secular for some reason, so therefore we must all strive for greater secular humanism.

humans mind have limits of understand reality thats why my bets on a super computer it evolves faster then humans
I love how I can agree with you and disagree with you at the same time...it's weird.
i agree that our understanding of reality is limited at this time.
but the rest of that stuff is a bit silly.
supercomputer is such a 50's term though.
so it doesn't fit the concept.
i'd imagine it'd be familiarized as nanites, or nanobots...or something.
 Cerberus.Eugene
Server: Cerberus
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-04-22 19:07:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Refresh, I think you should read The Moral Landscape: How Science Can Determine Human Values by Sam Harris. It discusses the dangers of incorporating religious indoctrination into moral decisions, and how we can scientifically determine what practices are best for human well-being. I don't particularly agree with everything in the book, but I think you'd enjoy it.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-04-22 19:08:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
if something like that is to ever come it's not going to be something we would think is plausible in the first place.
This is the strangest statement I've seen yet. It kinda makes sense though, I think. lol
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-04-22 19:10:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
This is the strangest statement I've seen yet. It kinda makes sense though, I think. lol
Ex:
Almost all advances in technology. There certainly was a point in human history that nobody thought metal would be able to do complex calculations, yet now we have computers.
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-04-22 19:12:02
Link | Quote | Reply

lol well there you go
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-04-22 22:03:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Eugene said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Ex:
Almost all advances in technology. There certainly was a point in human history that nobody thought metal would be able to do complex calculations, yet now we have computers.
Well I don't think technological advancements are a good example.

It's more a of philosophical statement.
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-04-22 22:14:49
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a statement about belief. The example is a belief about technology, not about technology itself.

EDIT: if it doesnt suit you that's cool too. it's he quickest one i could come up with.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-04-22 23:12:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Just saw this interesting poll asking Americans if Christianity and capitalism are really as compatible as republicans make them seem to be.

Quote:
A new poll released Thursday (April 21) found that more Americans (44 percent) see the free market system at odds with Christian values than those who don't (36 percent), whether they are white evangelicals, mainline Protestants, Catholics or minority Christians.

But in other demographic breakdowns, several categories lean the other way: Republicans and Tea Party members, college graduates and members of high-income households view the systems as more compatible than not.
Source

So what do you guys think? Could this be the reason for a decline in the religious numbers? Or do you think there is a decline of the spirit of capitalism because religion is making a come back?

Interesting article.
I do not believe religion is "making a comeback", as you suggested. Not sure where you got that idea from.
Americans under age 50 (and especially under age 30) are more likely than any time in the past to self-identify as unaffiliated/non-religious, even if they are still cautious about labeling themselves as an atheist or agnostic.
Approximately 59% of American adults are between the ages of 18 and 49 (inclusive), but 71% of American adults who self-identify as unaffiliated/non-religious are 18-49. Basically this means that the unaffiliated/non-religious Americans are more prevalent in the 50-and-under crowd.
Furthermore, the percentage of American adults that identified as "Christian" in 1990 was 86.2% ... in 2008 this fell to 76%. Meanwhile, the percentage of American adults identifying as non-religious in 1990 was 8.2% ... and in 2008, this rose to 15%.

So, yeah, there's still plenty of religious Americans, and the raw number of religious people is probably more now than it was 20 years ago ... just simply due to overall population growth. However, the percentage of Americans who are religious is sharply on the decline now.

Maybe there's been some religious revival since 2008 that you know of and I am unaware of, but I doubt that's the case.

Anyways, pardon the semi-digression. Capitalism isn't incompatible with any specific religion. The USA has flourished for centuries (with some notable hiccups and major setbacks along the way at times) with both Capitalism and Christianity co-existing. Whether it's a "happy" ' co-existence or a reluctant co-existence is irrelevant to this discussion. The bottom line is that while Christianity and Capitalism may not be madly-in-love bedfellows, they are indeed compatible in the sense that they can operate independently within the same political borders.

On the contrary though, I would sternly argue that Christianity (like all modern monotheistic religions) is a massive obstacle preventing the evolution of mankind. So, I suppose I could see how one might interpret that as making Capitalism and Christianity incompatible going forward into the future.
After all, increased stem cell research and its potential applications to cure (or treat) previously incurable (or untreatable) illnesses would be a MASSIVE corporate/economic windfall ... and yet, as it stands, Christianity is pretty much single-handedly holding back progress with stem cell research. That's just one example.

Ultimately though, I don't think Capitalism is harmed by Christianity NEARLY as much as humanity overall is harmed by Christianity.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [1091 days between previous and next post]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-17 20:33:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Classic Necro Bump time!
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-04-17 21:06:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Just saw this interesting poll asking Americans if Christianity and capitalism are really as compatible as republicans make them seem to be.....
INSTANT reaction without reading more than the the first post in the thread.

No. Jesus kicked the moneychangers out of the temple, not the ***.

Jesus spoke dozens of times against usury. He never spoke against abortion. (Augustus spoke against abortion at least several times.)

Moslems still have a BIG problem with lending money at interest and its all because of Jesus's teachings.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-17 21:16:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Classic Necro Bump time!

Over 1,000 day necro bump is epic.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-17 21:17:58
Link | Quote | Reply

2011? Really? lol.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-17 21:19:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Let us try for 2,000 day epic necro bump. We can do it.
 Shiva.Tedril
Server: Shiva
user: Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-04-17 21:31:55
Link | Quote | Reply

no
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-17 21:32:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Tedril said: »
no
/thread
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-17 21:32:57
Link | Quote | Reply

no

According to my research... yes.
[+]
 Shiva.Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-04-17 21:33:20
Link | Quote | Reply

no
/thread
no thanks?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-17 21:33:25
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
no

Dammit, carry on then.
By fonewear 2014-04-17 21:36:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I believe in capitalism. That and easy women.
[+]
 Shiva.Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-04-17 21:40:32
Link | Quote | Reply

no

In all seriousness though. God's all powerful nature requires that Christians (whom in the eyes of the christian faith is all of mankind as we are his children) seek his will always in order to reach him while capitalism allows, and often endorses(The Hiltons, The Trump, etc.), the theory that people can do what they please in reach whatever goals they set forth with little to no regard for the good of mankind. It would also not take long of reading the bible to see that breaks many of the desires of God in the christian faith. Case closed... 2000 day necro I welcome you!
 Shiva.Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-04-17 21:41:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I believe in capitalism. That and easy women.
Would that make your favorite past time capitalizing on easy women I dare say?
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-17 21:42:54
Link | Quote | Reply

no

In all seriousness though. God's all powerful nature requires that Christians (whom in the eyes of the christian faith is all of mankind as we are his children) seek his will always in order to reach him while capitalism allows, and often endorses(The Hiltons, The Trump, etc.), the theory that people can do what they please in reach whatever goals they set forth with little to no regard for the good of mankind. It would also not take long of reading the bible to see that breaks many of the desires of God in the christian faith. Case closed... 2000 day necro I welcome you!

Also believe in Cherry/Apple pie charts.

[+]
 Shiva.Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-04-17 21:51:07
Link | Quote | Reply

the cherry should so be red... mistakes were made!
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-17 21:53:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Did anybody ever notice the date the article in the OP was published?
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 21:53:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Did anybody ever notice the date the article in the OP was published?
lay off the pot sir
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-17 21:54:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Theology allows you do anything with the source material since internal consistency has been jettisoned for faith. Believe anything hard enough and you can make it your reality. Just ask the batshit insane jihadists running around the sands like its 900 AD.

Like Nessie. Except Nessie isn't dictating that people beat their wives, sell captives into sex slavery or murder homosexuals. *shrug*

You can make Jesus a 2000 year old space traveler who came to Earth to save us from our sins. And by sins I mean from ignorance. He failed but his teachings live on.

You can make Jesus a hippie who believes slaughtering animals for human consumption is morally reprehensible and smoking pot is the path to enlightenment from the shackles of our mortal confines.

You can also make Jesus out to be Gordon Gekko. Crush the poor, kick babies, do coke and bury hookers under the floorboards cause you're God's favored and these other people are just chaff.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-17 21:54:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Smoke em if you got em!
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 21:55:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Theology allows you do anything with the source material since internal consistency has been jettisoned for faith. Believe anything hard enough and you can make it your reality. Just ask the batshit insane jihadists running around the sands like its 900 AD.

Like Nessie. Except Nessie isn't dictating that people beat their wives, sell captives into sex slavery or murder homosexuals. *shrug*

You can make Jesus a 2000 year old space traveler who came to Earth to save us from our sins. And by sins I mean from ignorance. He failed but his teachings live on.

You can make Jesus a hippie who believes slaughtering animals for human consumption is morally reprehensible and smoking pot is the path to enlightenment from the shackles of our mortal confines.

You can also make Jesus out to be Gordon Gekko. Crush the poor, kick babies, do coke and bury hookers under the floorboards cause you're God's favored and these other people are just chaff.
and each are equally as logically valid