FFXIV Crash (PC Freezes)

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXIV » General » FFXIV Crash (PC Freezes)
FFXIV Crash (PC Freezes)
By GroundZero 2011-02-03 16:13:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Heya, just wondering if some people had the same experience lately.
Since a couple of weeks the game freezes for me or just crashes. I always was able to go back to desktop since last patch.

Now the game screen goes blank, and the whole PC freezes (I think, cant check it out since all I see is a white screen lol). CTRL+ALT+DEL aint working, W-key+D aint working, ALT+ESC aint working so probably a complete lockup.

Anyways, nothing special to trigger the crash. No programs installed (fresh W7 Pro installation), tried to run at minimal services (services.msc) and so on.

Reinstalled the game, didnt help. CPU cores are all fine (temperature) same for memory and GPU temperatore. Did a stress-test on CPU and GPU both came out fine. Tested the HDD's (SATA II) and everything fine.

CPU SPECS:
Intel Q8400
Asus Mobo
nVidia 800GTS 640MB
4GB DDR2 800
Windows 7 PRO

The game does run fine on my other two computers though,
Phenom II - X4 945 CPU
ASUS mobo
ATI HD 5700
8GB Corsair DDR2 800
WIN7 Pro

and last

Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
Phenom II X6 1100T
Corsair DDR3 1333 8GB
ASUS EAH6970 (HD 6970)
Windows 7 Ultimate Enterprise

Both run fine, every setting on the max available, just the 1st system thats crashing. Tried all setting on lowest possible, tried a fresh install with NO hardware connected at all... minimal services. Stress tests on CPU, GPU, HDD and RAM with 100% good results. Tried executing the game with "admin privileges" options by rightclicking on the .exe file.

Anyone has any idea's? no anti-virus or any other programs installed.

P.S.
Logbook does NOT show any knows records @ Microsoft. Error code is unknown and besided that, it might not even be the error which is made by the FFXIV loader since it does not even point in the direction of FFXIV. So logbook does not help anything either unfortunately.
[+]
By Dubont 2011-02-03 16:25:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Aside from the first PC being completely under par in almost every way, I have no idea. A friend of mine is having the same problem as of yesterday's patch.
By GroundZero 2011-02-03 16:30:26
Link | Quote | Reply

under par?... thats bullox.... all settings on high and no problem at all. Dont just "comment" what you read in magazines... I can make a X386 run FFXIV if i want (not seriously but... u get the point).

People on here claim to be good techs but... why u call 9 out of 10 systems incapable of running FFXIV while they run FFXIV with all settings on max AND still alt+tab to a DVD that were watching on W7 without stuttering or what so ever? :D

Just curious lol... so post something that is usefull and not something I dont need please (no offence, but im sick of people who think they know it all, but know jack after all... so post something solid and not something liquid rofl)
By Dubont 2011-02-03 16:42:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I never said that it couldn't run the game, I just said that it was underpar.

nVidia 800GTS 640MB
The main problem here is that it's under 1GB which would have been fine with other games, but its slower than normal for 14.

4GB DDR2 800
2GB of DDR3 is generally better than 4GB of DDR2 so your Ram just slows down performance.

I highly doubt you run at max settings because my comp that is almost twice as good can't run at absolute max, but runs well above standard.

I was just pointing that out because in a quick comparison of the 3 that you mentioned, that one in particular has the lowest specs and is the only one encountering the problem.
[+]
By GroundZero 2011-02-03 16:54:54
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah true thank you for that but im looking for a "fixed" answer not that it is underpair (as a leaflet says) cause 9 out of 10 times it is bullox lol (again no offence towards you).

So many things that influence the processing speed (reading, writing and temporarely saving) that 9 out of 10 times the "recommended" stuff on a leaflet or inlay or dvd case is bullox lol. Anyways it is a nvidia problem. I tried putting a other branch GFX in the system and no problems at all... of course I needed the GFX card my self so cant keep it in that system but... it is nvidia related, maybe just the 8000 series cards, or it is the driver.

I tried old drivers, new drivers, beta drivers but they all crash. So it has to do something with the FFXIV executables (or a file they use) in combination with the nvidia software for the display drivers.

Perhaps both use a "memory module" somewhere and make it crash... no clue lol but perhaps a wizzkid is here and solved it when it happened to him / her.
By Thicrobrian 2011-02-03 19:22:20
Link | Quote | Reply

@Dubont I run FFXIV on 3870 512mb 256bit 3core 2.60ghz 4GB Dual Ram on high-med only reason i don't run it on full high is because my cooling sucks atm and don't like to see high Temp. So don't know what you talking about his system is way better then mine lol. Btw i get 60FPS outside and 50FPS in city without problem and still run other stuff like fraps to record.

Ontopic: i don't know what could be your problem "try taking a ram out and testing the system. I had a friend that his PC would do that when he start up ffxiv and it was a Ram problem."
By Dubont 2011-02-03 20:58:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Thicrobrian said:
@Dubont I run FFXIV on 3870 512mb 256bit 3core 2.60ghz 4GB Dual Ram on high-med only reason i don't run it on full high is because my cooling sucks atm and don't like to see high Temp. So don't know what you talking about his system is way better then mine lol. Btw i get 60FPS outside and 50FPS in city without problem and still run other stuff like fraps to record.

I seriously doubt that you get high fps with that setup...if you do, then I should be getting a hell of a lot more. Soooo, yea...I'm going to have to say that you aren't really telling the truth here.
[+]
By Noregrets 2011-02-04 02:29:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I have same problem with the game freezing, and crashing PC. Never happened before 2/1/11 patch. System running on Win7 64 bit 4 GB of DDR2 @ 800Mhz Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.4 and a pair of HD 6870's, i run @ 1920x1080 4xAA Draw quality 8 standard 3 standard Highest shadow detail Ambient Occlusion depth of field High texture quality Highest texture filtering and with Morphological filtering enabled. Getting 50 FPS when the game actually works. I haven't had it happen as much after i set video cards to default speeds, but has happened. Sometime i get to play long time no problems. Sometimes crash and burn before my character loads.I assume that with the new 11.1a driver and the new patch, there must be some fatal conflict between the two. I hope they figure it out soon, seems that its affecting Nvidia and AMD video cards.
By Thicrobrian 2011-02-04 03:01:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Dubont said:
Thicrobrian said:

I seriously doubt that you get high fps with that setup...if you do, then I should be getting a hell of a lot more. Soooo, yea...I'm going to have to say that you aren't really telling the truth here.

Why would i lie? if you don't believe then it's your problem. Not my problem ppl can't get there high end cards to run better then they should.
By Dubont 2011-02-04 05:33:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I say you're lying because there is no way you can run at higher settings than me with those specs. It just isn't possible, sorry, but it's not. Why would you lie? To boost your e-peen, just like everyone who has quit 14 and still stalks these forums to brag about how this week's MMO is so much better than 14.
[+]
By Thicrobrian 2011-02-04 06:22:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Dubont said:
I say you're lying because there is no way you can run at higher settings than me with those specs. It just isn't possible, sorry, but it's not. Why would you lie? To boost your e-peen, just like everyone who has quit 14 and still stalks these forums to brag about how this week's MMO is so much better than 14.

O.o i'm still playing FFXIV i'm rank 41 trying to get 50 and hoping they change the name of Pug to monk. i run the game on high beside i don't put ambient occlusion and depth of field because my system goes up too 5-10C more which i dislike too i get better cooling. Top of that my room is *** hot. But yes i play the game on high-med when i get better video card i play on high setting if i could get a better system.
By GroundZero 2011-02-09 11:10:47
Link | Quote | Reply

no one here? anyways i just bought a new ATI card... overkill but w/e at least the problem is solved now and im sure ill be OK for the next 3 or 4 years rofl :D

But still interested in finding a solution... no one knows?
 Phoenix.Kusama
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Kusama 2011-02-09 13:12:32
Link | Quote | Reply

If the new video card pick the problem then your old video card was the issue.
By Yves 2011-02-09 13:32:06
Link | Quote | Reply

White screen crashes are common as a the RAM on a GPU starts to fade. Sorry for the delay in the response. It can sometimes be a driver issue where something about the patch from SE caused a conflict. The driver issue is almost always the first place to start but often doesn't resolve the issue because people just update the drivers without removing prior versions fully (ATI is famous for this problem). If you weren't BSODing then yes, your GPU was probably winding down. Take a look and see if the fan on it was running, as well - a lot of times you might be losing power from the PSU (bad rail).

Either way, glad you got it fixed.
Noregrets said:
I have same problem with the game freezing, and crashing PC. Never happened before 2/1/11 patch. System running on Win7 64 bit 4 GB of DDR2 @ 800Mhz Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.4 and a pair of HD 6870's, i run @ 1920x1080 4xAA Draw quality 8 standard 3 standard Highest shadow detail Ambient Occlusion depth of field High texture quality Highest texture filtering and with Morphological filtering enabled. Getting 50 FPS when the game actually works. I haven't had it happen as much after i set video cards to default speeds, but has happened. Sometime i get to play long time no problems. Sometimes crash and burn before my character loads.I assume that with the new 11.1a driver and the new patch, there must be some fatal conflict between the two. I hope they figure it out soon, seems that its affecting Nvidia and AMD video cards.

What kind of crash are you getting? Is it just the game? Is the whole system locking up? Is it a white screen, black screen, IE can't load page screen?

Let me know and I will try to work backwards with you.
By GroundZero 2011-02-09 15:25:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey Yves, thank you for your reply!

Well... no games crash, its just FFXIV. In the beginning of release no problem though, problems started two patches ago. Every day 1 or 2 crashes. Since last patch I crash very often, like every 4 or 6 minutes. The game screens gets white and the whole PC freezes.

I would say it was hardware related but I did a stress test on the CPU, GPU and RAM. Also checked sectors on my harddisk(s) and my memory values but all were alright.

It is definitely a software issue i.e. FFXIV and nVidia.
I tried a ATI card and no problems at all.

I tested the GPU CPU and GPU RAMDAC (Memory chips) temperatures and they all were within the limites of the card i.e. 100 degrees wat max, mine were 80/86 max.

Tried running the game on minimal settings, medium settings and max settings. Forced disabling of V-Sync (GFX Menu of nVidia), AA disabled, and some other stuff but nothing.

I am kinda out of solutions and things to try lol, perhaps you have an idea which we can try out?

I heard a lot of people have problems with nVidia and FFXIV (used to be with ATI to lol) so its not uncommon I guess.

Best regards
 Odin.Moondaddy
Server: Odin
user: Moondaddy
By Odin.Moondaddy 2011-02-09 17:13:44
Link | Quote | Reply

the old 8series nvidia cards have probs with solder points. after a while the mechanical bond breaks down and you will start to see random crashes like yves said, or 14 could just be too much for the 8series card even though the only diff between 8 and 9 series cards is a gpu die shrink. if you want to try and breath new life into your card strip everything off of it and stick it in your oven for a little bit and should slightly remelt the solder and repair the mechanical bond. i cant remember the temp or how long you should put it in there, but a quick google search should tell you everything you need to know
By GroundZero 2011-02-09 17:20:56
Link | Quote | Reply

so... i wont end up with my oven exploading and my mom beating the living ***out of me because our house is on fire? ^_^

Anyways, bought a ATI XFX 5970 Special Edition so problems are over now but thank you for your post, I guess that might be the problem... since everything else didnt solve it haha...

To bad though, the 8800GTS might not be a super card but I had a lot of fun with it, still played FFXIV with all on high with a little bit of tweaker and 1 or 2 options on med. so not to bad for such a old card ^^

Thanks for your replies guys! <3
 Odin.Moondaddy
By Odin.Moondaddy 2011-02-09 17:33:05
Link | Quote | Reply

GroundZero said:
so... i wont end up with my oven exploading and my mom beating the living ***out of me because our house is on fire? ^_^

Anyways, bought a ATI XFX 5970 Special Edition so problems are over now but thank you for your post, I guess that might be the problem... since everything else didnt solve it haha...

To bad though, the 8800GTS might not be a super card but I had a lot of fun with it, still played FFXIV with all on high with a little bit of tweaker and 1 or 2 options on med. so not to bad for such a old card ^^

heh i upgraded from a pair of 6600gt's in sli to my single 9800gt like yr and half ago so i know what you mean. they wasn't the best cards, but i didnt know anyone else runnin sli at the time so was cool to me^^
By Yves 2011-02-10 14:01:15
Link | Quote | Reply

GroundZero said:

No, but if you have no idea what you are doing you WILL brick the card. At this point, it sounds like a risk you would be willing to take. A heat gun or hairdryer is much safer. You are dealing with electrical components so having something that you aim the heat at is best (IMO).

With that said, I am unfamiliar with the soldering method on this part. The xBox360 uses a ball-and-socket method and a solder that is more environmentally friendly. Environmentally solder has a huge drawback in that it carries a much lower melting temperature which ultimately causes the components to lose contact and cause issues like this. This is what 90% of the RROD errors stem from.

Now you might be wondering how the solder can melt if the temperature is within the "safe" limitations listed on the manufacturer card. Well, in short, environmentally safe solder is crap and the manufacturers don't care if the solder melts. They usually farm out the production of cards to various countries and plants to cut costs. This means that some countries, like India (I believe), won't use a standard solder and have to use the crap solder. On the other hand, Korea and China don't care so they use the cheaper, higher quality stuff. If the manufacturer farms out the production to multiple places they list the "safe" temperature as the highest possible one. This is why you may be experiencing a reflow issues (if you are).

The suggestion that you are being given is to essentially reflow the solder.

Hopefully that makes some sense and will shed some reasons for why it it happeneing.
 Odin.Moondaddy
By Odin.Moondaddy 2011-02-10 17:56:05
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah, the temp i read was really low like maybe 175~200f and how long you leave it in the oven wasnt very long either. the drawback to usin a hairdryer is it prob wont get hot enough and i dont really know anyone besides maybe someone in collision repair who would have a heat gun. oven route just makes it easyer cause it reflow's the whole card at once instead of hoping you heatin the right spot with heat gun.