Hardest Hitting DD. What Do You Think?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXIV » General » Hardest hitting DD. What do you think?
Hardest hitting DD. What do you think?
 Midgardsormr.Fireheart
Server: Midgardsormr
Game: FFXI
By Midgardsormr.Fireheart 2010-12-23 19:08:55
Link | Quote | Reply

You're in a forum talking down to people on opinions and their observations. While their observations can be skewed (by using slash moves on skeletons), they're observations from actual players and nevertheless should be respected. If they are WRONG there's ways of stating that, like giving observations of your with some kind of evidence refuting theirs....without that you're just spewing hate and confusing people like me who prefer to just browse. You're right, this isn't FFXI-2 but ALOT of games share similar game mechanics (elemental weaknesses, attributes, battle tactics, etc). I believe you just went about this the wrong way.

So, if you're willing to contribute, why not prove us wrong, and give us some evidence besides "I'm lvl.50 and I know a ton of people who are" kind of thing. Personally I'm interested in lancer and what it can bring to the table at 50. from what I've read it's good at mobs of enemies, and debuffs. I can only ASSUME this b/c this is what I read and this is what I see...and alot of FACTS in ffxi were started as observations.

So, for all of us wondering, what is your opinion on the hardest hitting DD (Single target vs. Multi-target). What about survivability...can an archer unleash hell at 50 and survive?
[+]
 Asura.Carl
Server: Asura
By Asura.Carl 2010-12-23 19:21:49
Link | Quote | Reply

yes archer can pump out some pretty big hits and not pull hate they have a couple enmity down abilities
By Tankue 2010-12-23 19:23:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Archers are squishey, even at 50. Which makes it very important to level up other jobs to at least 20 to pick up both survivability talents and things that further increase your damage output.

The same can be said for any class. The most effective players in this game will have leveled every job to a point where they have all abilities they see useful, be it a rare situation or something that never leaves your bars.

All someone really has to do is look through a list of abilities from each job, and pick out whatever they see as useful (for whatever role they plan on playing). I would say the first thing people should do to make leveling easier is pick up the rank 30 lancer, pug, conjurer, thaum, and archer traits. Doing that will give you a wide variety of abilities, buffs and the likes to be able to blow stuff up on your way to 50.

Shiva.Cruveus
Server: Shiva
user: Cruveus
By Shiva.Cruveus 2010-12-23 20:12:57
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys *** a lot lol. Well I've played since CE only and usually solo and when I do duo its with my archer friend. Im now 36 he is 38. On Aldgoat billy (lvl 35ish mob) without buffs I hit for 400 he hit for 365ish. With buffs I hit for 580ish he hit for 535ish. Billy are a bood one to test it being decent defense and HP and were our level. No Im not telling my buffs or his, thats the joy of this game, no I dont have a 50 job (suck me if you think I need one), but I have 12 jobs 20+ and have a nice combination of moves. We also tested out a Tuco-Tuco (lvl 45 mob). 10 levels higher we both kill, Im done in 2 minutes, took him 3 minutes 4 secs
 Asura.Carl
By Asura.Carl 2010-12-23 21:08:33
Link | Quote | Reply

i'm personally trying to get every thing around 20-30 for all the traits but... Riot blade is pretty much the hardest hitting WS :-p 2-3xs harder then most other on any job
 Shiva.Cruveus
Server: Shiva
user: Cruveus
By Shiva.Cruveus 2010-12-23 22:15:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Maim is pretty ruthless but 2000 tp
By Unmei 2010-12-24 12:40:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Fireheart said:
Another thing you're forgetting is NONE of this stuff is explained in game, AT ALL. Hell, before this topic came up I had no idea what battle regimen was, or that it existed, and is this my fault?

Yes it kinda is your fault They gave us lodestone this time around to teach us the basics. Who's fault is it if you don't use it lol.

Fyi.

There is a lot if ***on lodestone if you look. They explained how to use battle regimes here>>>>
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/guide/battle02.html
 Midgardsormr.Fireheart
By Midgardsormr.Fireheart 2010-12-24 22:58:39
Link | Quote | Reply

That kind of stuff should be in the game, period.
 Midgardsormr.Eliniel
user: Eliniel
By Midgardsormr.Eliniel 2010-12-25 20:01:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Fireheart said:
Ohohoho...man did this thread get derailed pretty hard ;)

I played FFXI for 7 years, and you can ask anyone who knew me that I was very elitist...

I second this.
He's been an elitist in every game we've played.
Very elitist.
 Fairy.Charitey
Server: Fairy
user: Charitey
By Fairy.Charitey 2010-12-27 00:20:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Archer is the hardest hitting DD at 50. However because of the gear that is favored for them (leather items), archer is also very squishy. Their Burst damage is what makes them so dangerous. They regularly are the only class to pull threat from a tank in NM situations and need to be very careful of threat. They can NOT go all out on fights where all of our 50s are told to do so. They need to cycle in Threat reduction skills and tanks need to accomplice them to further reduce their threat.

For steady DPS you want lancer, Marauder and to an extent Pug.

Lancer excels at TP generation and reduction of TP on a monster, lower damage per swing, but decent survivability by having more HP than Archer. They are also the most flexible mele class. They CAN wear full plate and while their burst damage is low, their TP generation is good and can Weaponskill frequently.

Marauder can take a LOT of punishment, while dishing steady, larger chunks of damage they can worry far less about how much they are getting hit for, but they lack the burst damage of archer, or the flexibility of lancer. I put them at number 2 because since their innate HP pool is so high, they can afford more points in STR and DEX and maintain VERY Good survivability with very good damage over time and some decently strong weaponskilling.

Pug is something I am less familiar with because we only have 1 at rank 50, but they seem to be better in the TP generation department than all the other mele classes. This makes them useful for incapacitation and regimens. Evasion skills help with survivability, but if I recall correctly, their HP is only above archer by a bit. They are also stuck in the leather department, but are within mele range, and thus very very squishy.

I tried to stick to facts and less opinion, this is all observation from my own linkshell killing NM's and 40 levequests on 5 star. I can't say how things will pan out in the future, but this is how things are currently.

So, I will agree with Archer as #1 mele. I would put Marauder #2 Lancer at 3, Glad at 4 (only because riot blade is insane) and Pug last, because although their rank 50 skill has many hits, it is very weak on tougher mobs because of it)

TLDR:

Archer
Marauder
Lancer
Glad
Pug

Glad and Pug are arguable, but my top 3 should stand strong.

This is subject to change as players level up and gain the abilities of the other classes.
 Midgardsormr.Fireheart
By Midgardsormr.Fireheart 2010-12-27 00:58:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Very well summed up there ;)

I have only 2 small questions that are on my mind and maybe on others:

1. What about THM?
2. On easier mobs how far (if any) would pug go up? I would think on weaker mobs acc isn't an issue and the multi hit would become a better option?

I'm personally concentrating on Lancer/Archer ... Marauder I seem to be having accuracy issues, granted the last time I tried I was level 10 and was only 3 days into the game..
 Fairy.Charitey
By Fairy.Charitey 2010-12-27 01:11:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Thaums main damage on tough mobs is shadowseer. Its very effective. The rest of the time, Thaum is best used as debuffing (slow, paralyze, absorbs, etc) and backup heals. In our raids thaums are usually debuffing and healing. I let them nuke when things are going well. I wouldn't call them great DD overall, but a well timed nuke here and there is helpful. Thaum is the "dark arts" of the 2 mages and is best used as such.

On easier mobs PUG is insane. Farming, I would use Pug over any class because of second wind, featherfoot, and its innate evasion. Stopping for ANYTHING isn't even a thought, not even to heal yourself.

Archer would be better because of its range, if not for the fact that it gets no self heal. Get the skills on pug, and use them on archer = win.

Pug so far to me seems to be more of a "support" class that all mele should level. I don't see the role for them endgame personally. I see everything they do outclassed by the other jobs. Problem is, they get some VERY useful skills. I suggest to our mele to level pug for the skills and use them on their main job. Unless their main job is pug, in which case, they kind of just come along for the ride.

They dont tank, they dont do insane DD, they dont have any standout buffs. And hell, they have to be in mele range AND in leather. lol

Pug is best leveld for its abilities to use on other classes imo.
By Yves 2010-12-27 11:03:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, first off STFU about endgame. There is ZERO endgame content and any speculation on it is just that. You're an infantile retard for even bringing it up at this point.

For all you know, SE might just get up and slap the *** out of your mouth, entirely altering the job classes and throwing endgame content at us that makes all of your assumptions about as valuable as your 102 IQ.

Next off, play the job you like - the game has been designed to allow people to play how they like. That's why you can insert JA from other classes.

And lastly, I'm loving the l33t posts where people fail to mention the strenghts of each class against mob types (i.e. - slashing, blunt, piercing, etc.). Great example: PUG damage is often blunt (depending on weapon) and is going to be more valuable against certain mobs. Anyone remember XI when BLM was useless against colibri?

Thanks to all of those who have posted trying to honestly help the OP - you make the game better for everyone. For all the l33t asswipes, I hope you stub your toe and die of a blood infection.
[+]
 Fairy.Charitey
By Fairy.Charitey 2010-12-27 11:56:10
Link | Quote | Reply

SO much for trying to help. lol
By Yves 2010-12-27 12:04:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Charitey said:

No, you did a unique combination of Self-ego-mastubartion mixed with advice. That's not helping, thats jacking off to your own picture while giving workout tips.

By Dubont 2010-12-27 12:17:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Charitey said:

They dont tank, they dont do insane DD, they dont have any standout buffs. And hell, they have to be in mele range AND in leather. lol

Pug is best leveld for its abilities to use on other classes imo.
i believe that you're wrong
By hyuran 2010-12-27 13:39:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Yves said:

No, you did a unique combination of Self-ego-mastubartion mixed with advice. That's not helping, thats jacking off to your own picture while giving workout tips.

Do you have a R50 yves?
That guy would pwn you in PvP yves!
[+]
By Yves 2010-12-27 13:41:02
Link | Quote | Reply

hyuran said:
Yves said:

Do you have a R50 yves?That guy would pwn you in PvP yves!

He can feel free to pwn my balls in his mouth while he gets the ol' mushroom stamp on the forehead.
[+]
 Fairy.Charitey
By Fairy.Charitey 2010-12-27 13:43:02
Link | Quote | Reply

ironic that a guy complaining about ego has an ego issue.
By hyuran 2010-12-27 13:45:09
Link | Quote | Reply

your a R50 t-bagger arent you? you def sound like you know the job! and everyone knows that unless you ARE R50 or at least know someone that's R50, you don't know how to play that job and do it wrong
By Yves 2010-12-27 13:46:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Charitey said:
ironic that a guy complaining about ego has an ego issue.

No, I've said nothing about myself. I simply stated that you can enjoy a salty nut sandwich. You want any condiments on that?
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-12-27 13:47:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Yves said:
Fairy.Charitey said:

is this puppy pooping or something?
By hyuran 2010-12-27 13:56:03
Link | Quote | Reply

na man, he just skilling up pooping atm, as you can see his tail is too low and that denotes that he isnt a rank 50 pooper

lol noob pooper

i dont see that pooper getting ANY endgame invites
 Asura.Kayze
By Asura.Kayze 2010-12-27 14:05:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Not that I condone Charitey trying to swing his/her e-peen like chopper blades, but s/he is the only one who has offered up any sort of reasoning as to which class hits hardest. Now can we get some real opinions on who hits hardest, or please kindly STFU, cos Im kinda tired of scrolling through ***to find out the answer to this question >_>
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-12-27 14:08:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kayze said:
Not that I condone Charitey trying to swing his/her e-peen like chopper blades, but s/he is the only one who has offered up any sort of reasoning as to which class hits hardest. Now can we get some real opinions on who hits hardest, or please kindly STFU, cos Im kinda tired of scrolling through ***to find out the question to this answer >_>
I'm pretty sure there isn't going to be a definitive answer to your question.
I haven't played the game but that's pretty much the nature of this site...
that and the fact that stuff like this gets subjected to opinion quite a bit :/
Charitey provided some opinion related information from what I can tell, but I'd imagine going with the old standard "situational is situational" is even more applicable in 14 just due to the apparent nature of the game.
By Yves 2010-12-27 14:14:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kayze said:
Not that I condone Charitey trying to swing his/her e-peen like chopper blades, but s/he is the only one who has offered up any sort of reasoning as to which class hits hardest. Now can we get some real opinions on who hits hardest, or please kindly STFU, cos Im kinda tired of scrolling through ***to find out the question to this answer >_>

Unfortunately, there really isn't an easy answer to your question. Here is what I can tell you that will impact the results and then I will explain why this isn't as simple as it is in FFXI.

1. Dex
2. Str
3. Weapon (relevant rank, damage type)
4. Armor (stat boosts, relevant rank)
5. Additional stat modifiers
6. Mob weakness
7. JAs equipped

Here is why this cannot be answered: unlike FFXI, there are no set stat increases - it is solely left to the player's discretion. In short, there is literally no way of determining this. While a 50 MRD might hit one type of mob for 500 and a 50 LNC hits the same mob for 350, it doesn't mean one is better at overall damage - it could be a mix of above-mentioned 7 categories.

Here is my advice: play how you like. If you like one class, do it. SE has taken many measures to allow people flexibility in this game. It will always be situational so don't fret.

Hopefully you see what I am saying. If you want some further examples, I can provide them for you, just let me know ^^.
 Asura.Kayze
By Asura.Kayze 2010-12-27 14:16:08
Link | Quote | Reply

lol just realised I wrote "question to this answer" xD

But yeah thats what I thought Vinvv, was just kinda hoping that there could be some conclusive proof, but I also enjoy seeing debates (not senseless arguing or putting another's opinion down) on this kind of topic. Ah wells, Im going to level up all the DoW and DoM classes and make my own comparison.

EDIT: epic post Yves, thanks ^^
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-12-27 14:18:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kayze said:

But yeah thats what I thought Vinvv, was just kinda hoping that there could be some conclusive proof, but I also enjoy seeing debates (not senseless arguing or putting another's opinion down) on this kind of topic. Ah wells, Im going to level up all the DoW and DoM classes and make my own comparison.
If you would post what you find out :D.
I'm curious about it.
I think I'm gonna wait for the console release on it before I'd get it if I do.
 Asura.Kayze
By Asura.Kayze 2010-12-27 14:19:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I definitely would, if I can find a way (if possible) to bypass all the issues Yves brought up! lol
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-12-27 14:22:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Asura.Kayze said:

If you would post what you find out :D.
I'm curious about it.
I think I'm gonna wait for the console release on it before I'd get it if I do.
I would.. They've pushed back the PS3 release to an unset date, they've stated they want to get the game to what they think is ready before they release the PS3 version. While that could mean nothing more than when 'it was ready for PC launch', let's just hope that they learned their lesson about releasing unfinished ***...